DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: If you ever wondered.....................
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
....But were afraid to ask............................... :o

The difference 'tween flat and roundwounds:

[Image: flatwound-45-Gsmall.jpg]
[Image: flatwound-130Bsmall.jpg]
[Image: Roundwound-Bsmall.jpg]
[Image: Roundwound-Gsmall.jpg]
Tongue
Wow! I did wonder!

I always thought flats were literally flat - you know, like almost square shaped.

Do you notice a differently tonality with them?
Absolutely!

They are softer in sound. Not quieter, but mellow, particularly the top D and G.
They feel like, erm.... Like tapewounds, or like plastic. Very smooth and frictionless.

Supposedly, they can be used until they break, (!), as the flatwind doesnt allow dirt build-up.

So, we'll see eh? I only put them on the Tobias today.
Cost? £28GBP for a 5 string set.
Yikes - expensive!

Think I'll stick with my Slinkies. (However, I'll probably drop down to .11s for a slightly darker sound.)
Expensive, yes. But remember two things;

1/ These are MASSIVE bass strings, :o

2/They have a very long life. Smile

6 string electric flats are much cheaper! Smile
Hmm,

Just re-read this......"However, I'll probably drop down to .11s for a slightly darker sound"

Hmmmm, mmmmm........

What are you using now? Something heavier? Surely lighter strings will be brighter, not darker?
Am I misunderstanding you here, Slej?
You've got it right. By "drop down" I meant up to a larger gauge, like going "down" from the higher strings to the lower ones even though you are really going up the neck vertically. I have 9s now (I think) and they are too light for a semi-hollow body. Easy to bend but I want something more mellow, darker, jazzier etc.

You are right: prices for flat electric guitar strings are not as bad as for basses:

Gibson flatwound 12s are US$7.99, and Fender flatwound 11s are $9.99.

But the vast majority of flatwounds seem to be for basses!
I'd like to give them flatwounds a go, but my axe already sounds very warm as it is, so I'm not sure if I want it to be any more mellow....
Update.

Flats still good as new!!
Cool. I picked up some flatwound D'Addario Chromes and will put 'em on next time I restring. They are 11 gauge, but if I like them I might try their flat 10s.
Be very interested to hear your thoughts.
My update:

Flats still good.

Your update????? :/